The board has four standing committees and their terms of reference are included in the board's rules of procedure . PDF, 218 Kb
- Audit and risk committee
- Remuneration and Nominations committee
- Health and safety regulation committee
- Highways committee
It may appoint other committees to deal with areas of work before recommendations are sent to the board by the committee or the executive for a decision.
Audit and Risk Committee
ORR's audit and risk committee has a key role in corporate governance supporting the board and the accounting officer in reviewing the adequacy of ORR's risk, control and governance processes.
- Non-executive directors: Bob Holland (Chair) and Michael Luger.
- Executive Director: Joanna Whittington.
- Independent member: Melvyn Neate.
Also in attendance at all meetings: Director of Corporate Services, Associate Director of Finance, a member of the Board Secretariat team, representatives of the internal audit service provider and the National Audit Office.
Health and Safety Regulation Committee
ORR's safety regulation committee helps to develop, maintain, review and update ORR's health and safety regulatory strategy and the overall adequacy of arrangements to meet ORR's statutory duties. It provides guidance and advice on the need for major accident inquiries and reviews the safety inspection and policy formulation programmes.
- Non-executive directors: Justin McCracken (Chair), Stephen Glaister and David Franks.
- Executive directors: Joanna Whittington, Ian Prosser and Graham Richards.
- Other members: Juliet Lazarus.
ORR's highways committee oversees the work of the highways monitoring team; it advises the ORR board in developing an appropriate and effective monitoring framework and internal decision making framework for roads; and acts as a forum for policy development with senior staff.
- Non-executive directors: Stephen Glaister (Chair), Tracey Barlow.
- Independent members: Terry Hill, Garrett Emmerson.
- Executive directors: Joanna Whittington and Graham Richards.
- Other members: Peter Antolik.
Remuneration and Nominations Committee
ORR's remuneration and nominations committee reviews and recommends to the board pay and benefits policy for ORR's senior civil servant staff. It then reviews and makes recommendations on the pay and bonuses for senior civil servants, taking account of their contribution to ORR's overall performance as recommended by the chief executive. The committee also advises on induction and training for non-executive members.
- Non-executive directors: Michael Luger (Chair), Anne Heal and Justin McCracken.