Consultation on changes to charges and contractual incentives
Date published: 15 December 2016
Closing date: 9 March 2017
As part of the 2018 periodic review (PR18), we are reviewing the structure of charges levied for use of the network and the incentives in place for Network Rail and train operators.
These charges and incentives affect the decisions that Network Rail, train operators and funders make. They play an important role in improving outcomes for passengers, freight customers and taxpayers.
We are now seeking views on a series of proposals we recommend implementing for control period 6 and on the options for the capacity charge and improving the incentives on Network Rail and train operators to work together. These build on the valuable engagement we have had with stakeholders on charging and incentives since our December 2015 consultation and stakeholder letter on Schedules 4 and 8 last year. PDF, 262 Kb
Improving incentives on Network Rail and train operators: a consultation on changes to charges and contractual incentives PDF, 367 Kb
Published 15 December 2016
We have also published a series of documents to support this consultation. These can be found in the supporting documents section below.
We held two stakeholder events in London and Glasgow in February 2017 to help support attendees in developing their responses to this consultation. Slides used at these stakeholder events are available.
- Annex A: Summary of control period 5 charges and contractual incentives framework PDF, 127 Kb
- Annex B: Glossary PDF, 68 Kb
- Annex C: Assessment framework PDF, 151 Kb
Draft impact assessments:
- PR18: Fixed costs - Draft impact assessment on options for fixed costs PDF, 617 Kb
- PR18: Freight mark up charges - Draft impact assessment on simplification option and methodology change PDF, 89 Kb
- PR18: Station long term charge - Draft impact assessment on the methodology at managed stations PDF, 52 Kb
- PR18: Qualifying expenditure (QX) - Draft impact assessment on QX transparency PDF, 53 Kb
- PR18: Capacity charge - Draft impact assessment on options for the capacity charge PDF, 503 Kb
- PR18: Coal spillage charge - Draft impact assessment on abolishing the charge PDF, 49 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 8 - Draft impact assessment on Schedule 8 and passenger compensation PDF, 488 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 8 - Draft impact assessment on approach to setting benchmarks PDF, 53 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 8 - Draft impact assessment on the measure of passenger operator performance PDF, 56 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 8 - Draft impact assessment on effectiveness of the SPP regime PDF, 53 Kb
Initial thinking and proposals:
- PR18: Schedule 4 - Proposal not to pursue a range of schedule 4 issues in PR18 PDF, 65 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 4 - Initial thinking on incentives created by notification discount factors PDF, 91 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 4 - Initial thinking on the approach to calculating the access charge supplement PDF, 56 Kb
- PR18: Schedule 4 - Initial thinking on negotiated compensation arrangements for planned disruption PDF, 60 Kb