Train and station licence holders are required, by their operating licence, to have approved complaints handling procedures and to comply with them. In October 2013 ORR took over approval and monitoring of complaints handling procedures from the Department for Transport.
In a letter of 15 April 2014 we committed to review the guidance on complaints handling procedures, which dates from 2005. This consultation was on the proposed new guidance. It set out what we will look for when exercising our approval role and when monitoring for continuing compliance.
The final guidance has now been published (Wednesday 30 September 2015).
You can find more information about how to complain on ORR's complaints handling page.
For further information or to speak to us, please email CHP@orr.gov.uk.
- ORR's conclusions to the consultation on draft guidance on complaints handling procedures for licence holders, 2015
- ORR guidance on complaints handling procedures for licence holders, 2015 – final version
- ORR guidance on complaints handling procedures for licence holders, 2015 – track changes
- Impact assessment
- Abellio Greater Anglia
- Arriva Trains Wales
- Department for Transport
- First Great Western
- First Hull Trains
- London TravelWatch
- London Overground Rail Operations Ltd
- MTR Crossrail
- Network Rail
- Papworth Trust
- Transport Focus
- Transport for London
- TravelWatch Northwest
- Virgin Trains
- Virgin Trains East Coast
- Welsh Government
- ORR's Regulatory statement of July 2014
- Annual review of Complaints Handling Procedures – Letter from ORR to all licensed operators - 15 April 2014
- Rail passenger complaints handling: from process to culture 13 March 2014 workshop