This consultation is now closed.
Publication of updated guidance
On 30 January 2017, having considered responses to our consultation, we published the final version of our approach to monitoring and reviewing markets.
- ORR response to consultation
- Angel Trains Ltd response to consultation
- Rail Delivery Group response to consultation
- ORR’s guidance on approach to monitoring and reviewing markets
The key purpose of the guidance is to assist businesses and individuals operating in the railways sectors to understand our general approach to: monitoring and reviewing railway markets; and how and in what circumstances we intend to use our powers to:
- Make directions to correct market distortion or other undesirable developments in markets.
- To undertake market studies and make market investigation references to the Competition and Markets Authority.
Date published: 21 July 2016
Closing date: 13 October 2016
In the consultation we sought views on our proposed approach to monitoring and reviewing markets. The proposed guidance has replaced our 2009 guidance. In particular we asked:
- If consultees agreed with our proposals on how we will carry out our functions of monitoring and reviewing markets.
- If consultees had any other comments on the scope or content of the guidance.
- If consultees had any comments in relation to our interpretation of the Access and Management Regulations.
- If consultees considered there to be any areas which they thought would benefit from further clarity.