This report provides our updated assessment on the management of work-related ill health in the rail industry by the end of our first four year health programme. It covers the period 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2014.
When we launched our first health programme for 2010-14, we committed to review rail industry progress in the management of work-related ill health by 2014. Our latest report 'Better health is happening' provides a revised snapshot on progress by the end of our first four year health programme, and identifies priorities for action under our 2014-19 health programme. To help assess the impact of our health programme, we report trends in our baseline health indicator measures, including industry responses to our repeat health data survey in 2014 . You can find a guide to the structure of the report and links to each chapter below.
This latest report highlights areas where good progress has been made in the management of occupational health, and shines a spotlight on areas where there is still more to do, particularly to translate commitments to improve worker health into reality on the ground. Headline findings are summarised on our infographic. We have also produced a presentation.
Separate chapters Collapse accordion Open accordion
- Foreword and executive summary
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Work-related ill health - the picture across all industry sectors
- Chapter 3: How much of a problem is work-related ill health in the GB rail industry?
- Chapter 4: What are the costs of work-related ill health in rail?
- Chapter 5: How mature is the rail industry in managing occupational health?
- Chapter 6: Key priorities for the industry in moving towards excellence in managing health
- Chapter 7: Assessing the impact of ORR's first health programme
- Annex A: Glossary of terms in the report
- Annex B: Rail industry data on manual handling and shock/trauma incidents
- Annex C: ORR's 2011 and 2014 health data surveys of rail companies
- Annex D: Detailed comparison of ORR's health indicator measures during our 2010-14 health programme
Further information Collapse accordion Open accordion
- Better health is happening: ORR assessment on progress on occupational health up to 2014, and priorities to 2019
- List of references and footnotes in ORR report on progress on health up to 2014
- Video introduction to ORR report 'Better health is happening'
- Infographic summary of key findings from ORR's 'Better health is happening' report
- Presentation: ORR's 'Better health is happening' report
- ORR health programme 2014 to 2019: making it happen PDF, 1,751 Kb
- Repeat of ORR baseline health indicator survey 2014
- ORR overview of work-related ill health in the GB rail industry 2010